Dairy farming case studies
When you want to make improvements on your farm, it can help to understand how other farmers approach similar challenges.
Applying industry guidance is a great start, but sometimes you need to read practical examples from other dairy farms.
Browse our case studies to learn how dairy farmers have made changes on their farms, it could save you time and money.
Breeding and genetics
- Dylan Harries focus on our spring calving index has driven profitability and achieved a top 5 percent genetic merit score
Calf and youngstock management
- Andrew Wallis and Tony White implemented changes to boost heifer growth rates and reduce age at first calving
- Sharon and Guy Hawken saw higher daily liveweight gains and earlier-calving replacements by focusing on training and development
Dairy cow diseases
- Identifying trace element deficiencies by blood testing helped Tom Bletcher reduce his stillborn rate from 8% to 2%
- Quarterly testing for Johne’s helped Rheinallt Harries identify infected cows and control the spread
Feeding and nutrition
- Reducing intervals between silage cuts has helped strategic dairy farmers Tony and Michael Ball reduce feed costs
- Willie Baillie reducing sorting by soaking concentrates overnight and saw milk yields increase by 1.5 litres per cow
- Moving to twice a day delivery of fresh feed increased milk production by 1.5 litres per cow for no extra cost at Chance Hall Farm
Grass & forage management
- Routinely mobility scoring helped Rhys Davies reduce lameness across his herd and identify replacements for future breeding
- Chris Mossman achieved significantly fewer mastitis incidences during the dry period and no cases during lactation