This information shows the volume of cereal stocks held by merchants, ports and co-operatives in the UK at the end of February and June each year. The level of stocks held in the UK is a key factor for the market in determining price trends. This information is used to produce the UK cereals supply and demand estimates.
Overview: June 2019
- An estimated 948.1 thousand tonnes of wheat stocks were held by merchants, ports and co-ops in the UK as at 28 June 2019, 14.4% higher year on year. At 735.4 thousand tonnes, home-grown wheat stocks were 27.3% higher on the year, while imported wheat stocks were 15.2% lower (212.7 thousand tonnes).
- On the 28 June 2019, stocks of home-grown barley held by merchants, ports and co-ops were 17.9% higher than the end-June 2018 at 417.4 thousand tonnes. Stocks of home-grown oats were slightly higher (1.0%) on the year at 67.5 thousand tonnes.
- At the end of June 2019, total stocks of maize held by merchants, ports and co-ops in the UK were 276.2 thousand tonnes, 28.6% higher year on year.
Wheat stocks held by merchants, ports and co-ops in the UK at end-June
Cereal stocks held by merchants, ports and co-ops in the UK at end-June
*Insufficient sample to produce robust figure.
(1) Imported barley and oats are summed due to confidentiality constraints.
(2) Maize is reported as a total of home grown and imported.
For further infomation please contact the AHDB Balance Sheet Team at email@example.com
The England and Wales on-farm cereal stocks survey is carried out seperately by Defra. Similar to the merchants, ports and co-operatives survey, it is carried out as at the end of February and June each year with the results published by Defra in the spring and summer. The on-farm cereal stocks information can be found here.