UK human and industrial cereal usage
This information shows the use of cereals by flour millers, brewers maltsters and distillers (monthly) and oat millers (quarterly) in the UK. It is used to produce the UK cereals supply and demand estimates.
Overview: July 2019
- Total wheat usage by the UK milling industry(1) declined by 21.1% in July 2019, compared with the same period in 2018, at 441.0 thousand tonnes. Of this, 380.3 thousand tonnes was home grown wheat, 10.4% lower year on year. Imported wheat usage was 54.7% lower on the year at 60.8 thousand tonnes.
- In July 2019, the amount of barley used by UK brewers, maltsters and distillers was 4.8% more than year earlier levels, at 157.5 thousand tonnes.
- At 59.3 thousand tonnes, UK brewers, maltsters and distillers used 40.2% more wheat in July 2019 than in July 2018.
- July 2019 is the first month of the 2019/20 season which runs from July to June.
Season to date (3) wheat usage by UK millers (1)
(1) Including starch and bioethanol; (2) % change relates to the same period in the previous year; (3) July 2019 is the first month of the 2019/20 season which runs from July to June; (4) As at end-July 2019. Due to rounding, totals may not agree with the sum of the individual items.
For further infomation please contact the AHDB Balance Sheet Team at email@example.com