UK human and industrial cereal usage
This information shows the use of cereals by flour millers, brewers maltsters and distillers (monthly) and oat millers (quarterly) in the UK. It is used to produce the UK cereals supply and demand estimates.
Overview: June 2019
- In June 2019, the UK milling industry(1) used 517.8 thousand tonnes of wheat, 16.0% lower year on year. For the 2018/19 season, wheat usage totalled 6.1 million tonnes, 11.0% lower than in 2017/18.
- In 2018/19 the UK milling industry(1) used 5.1 million tonnes of home grown wheat, down 13.2% compared to 2017/18. Imported wheat usage increased by 1.2%, to 1.0 million tonnes.
- UK brewers, maltsters, and distillers used 167.1 thousand tonnes of barley in June 2019, a 12.8% increase on the year. Over the full season(3),1.4% more barley was used compared with 2017/18, at 1.9 million tonnes. In 2018/19 UK brewers, maltsters and distillers used 722.2 thousand tonnes of wheat, 9.0% less than in 2017/18.
- For the 2018/19 crop year, the amount of oats milled in the UK was relatively unchanged (-0.1%) on the 2017/18 season, at 536.0 thousand tonnes.
Full season wheat usage by UK millers (1)
(1) Including starch and bioethanol; (2) % change relates to the same period in the previous year; (3) Full season comprises of July 2018 to June 2019 data; (4) As at end-June 2019. Due to rounding, totals may not agree with the sum of the individual items.
For further infomation please contact the AHDB Balance Sheet Team at email@example.com