Northumberland beef and lamb Monitor Farm: Winter bale grazing
Join us, alongside Pasture for Life and Innovative Farmers, for an on-farm discussion covering what you need to know about bale grazing. Find out how it could work for your farm as an effective way to cut expensive cattle wintering costs.
The event is hosted by one of our monitor farms, G. Sordy & Sons; they are part of an Innovative Farmers field lab, coordinated by Pasture for Life and supported by AHDB. The project is exploring the impacts of bale grazing across a range of different farms with varying soil types and herd sizes. Last year, the Sordy family managed to outwinter 160 suckler cows on deferred grazing and bales of silage and they plan to expand this further in 2023.
What you will learn
- Why bale grazing can play an effective role in reducing wintering costs in beef systems
- How to set up and manage bale grazing on your farm, including setting up paddocks, management throughout the winter and options to fit your farming system
- Top tips from suckler beef farmers already bale grazing
- 10:00am Arrival
- 10:30am Introductions
- 10:45am Why you should bale graze
- 11:00am Visit to a bale grazing field to explore the grazing system in operation
- 12:30pm Return to the shed
- 1:30pm Lunch and finish
We look forward to seeing you there.