Trade and policy
Having left the European Union following Brexit, farmers and growers are now looking at the future changes in domestic policy and trading relationships. Explore the latest information and analysis on how this will affect farming businesses.
Future agricultural policy
The government in England has announced three future environmental schemes to replace the current Basic Payment Scheme. Below you will find the most up-to-date information on each of the schemes.
Sustainable Farming Incentive
- A new government scheme that rewards environmental land management
- Offers payments for carrying out ‘environmentally sustainable actions’ such as improving soil health, hedgerows and integrated pest management
- SFI pilot is underway, and wider rollout of the scheme has begun
Local Nature Recovery
- Defra and Natural England have created the Nature Recovery Network (NRN)
- Pays for actions such as creating, managing or restoring habitats, natural flood and species management
- Aims to create or restore 500,000 hectares of additional wildlife-rich habitat
- This government scheme focuses on landscape and ecosystem recovery
- Offers payment for projects that aim to recover threatened native species and priority habitats, or restore streams and rivers
- Applications are open now for the first round of pilot projects
Featured podcast: Making sense of the Sustainable Farming Incentive (SFI) with Defra's Janet Hughes
Looking for more details on the Sustainable Farming Incentive? Tune into our podcast and hear about how it could affect the bottom line of your business. We also hear from an SFI pilot participant and Janet Hughes, Director of Future Farming and Countryside at Defra.
Following EU exit and the new Global Britain foreign policy focus, the UK is free and keen to sign trade deals with a number of countries around the world. AHDB will be analysing how these trade deals will affect UK farmers.
WTO implications for UK agriculture
Find out about the issues that will be critical in shaping the agri-food sector following Brexit
Business resilience: tools and resources
Our free Farm Business Review Tool can help you assess your business and get ready for a world without BPS payments. You can enter your farm data and see the impact the reduction in payments will have on your farm business as well as carry out a Business Resilience Assessment and see how well your farm is performing by using the KPI calculator. Plus, we have resouces on business planning and finances.
Horizon reports subscription
Sign up below to receive the latest Horizon reports on the issues we see affecting the agriculture and horticulture industry direct to your inbox.
Support for farmers
When faced with challenges, it’s reassuring to know that there are a number charities offering practical advice, guidance and support.
Latest trade information
Did you find the information and resources on this page useful? Please complete this short survey to let us know your feedback.
While AHDB seeks to ensure that the information contained on this webpage is accurate at the time of publication, no warranty is given in respect of the information and data provided. You are responsible for how you use the information. To the maximum extent permitted by law, AHDB accepts no liability for loss, damage or injury howsoever caused or suffered (including that caused by negligence) directly or indirectly in relation to the information or data provided in this publication.