Strategic Cereal Farm East Open Day
The Strategic Cereal Farm East Open Day will provide attendees with an update on the last year of trials and demonstrations on-farm, putting research into practice. There will be a background and update on the baselining and trials so far and an in-depth look at the three main trials/demonstrations for harvest 2019 – using cover crops to improve water quality, boosting early crop biomass and using a managed lower inputs programme on five different winter wheat varieties.
The day will look at the theme of managed lower inputs across these areas for farmers, growers, agronomists and sprayer operators. Discussions with the host farmer, Brian Barker, along with leading researchers from AHDB, ADAS, Essex & Suffolk Water and Sustainable Soil Management will provide attendees with the opportunity to look at optimum agronomic programmes, capturing nutrients in-field, improving water quality, managing yield and farming sustainably.
- 09:30 Registration with refreshments and stands
- 10:00 Welcome: Teresa Meadows – AHDB Knowledge Exchange Manager, East Anglia
- 10:05 Strategic Farm East Baselining and Background: Emily Pope - AHDB Knowledge Transfer Manager
- 10:20 Strategic Farm East 2019 Trials and Demonstrations Introduction: Brian Barker - Strategic Farm East Host
- 10:45 Research trials and demonstrations field visits:
- Cover crops and water quality: Anne Bhogal - ADAS and Ian Skinner - Essex & Suffolk Water
- Managed lower inputs: Brian Barker and Paul Gosling - AHDB Crop Protection Scientist, Weeds
- Early crop biomass: Ian Robertson - Sustainable Soil Management
- Ecology, biodiversity and IPM – the future: Patrick Barker - EJ Barker and Sons (three groups led by Strategic Farm East Steering Group Members)
- 12:50 What’s next? Harvest 2020 and beyond: Emily Pope - AHDB Knowledge Transfer Manager
- 13:00 LUNCH with stands
- 13:45 OPTIONAL: Lodge Farm Guided Tour to trial sites and discussion: Brian Barker
- 15:45 Depart
Exhibitors: AHDB, ADAS, Omnia, Glenside, SOYL, Agricology, LEAF, UEA, Oakbank, Kings
Watch the below video for preview of some of the trials ahead of the open day:
For more information, please visit: cereals.ahdb.org.uk/strategicfarmeast or contact Teresa Meadows at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 07387 015465.