GrassCheckGB: Grassland soils: knowing what you’ve got and how to improve it
Join GrassCheckGB and Elizabeth Stockdale, NIAB for a webinar on focusing on the importance of soil health for grassland productivity. Soil is the basis of every grassland system and aiming to constantly improve soil health will pay dividends in grassland productivity. Knowing and correcting soil pH alone can reduce the risk of yield loss, which can be up to 20%.
The webinar will cover:
- Digging holes and what to look for – worms, structure, smell, colour
- Why soil nutrient status is important for pasture-based farms
- What does your soil status mean for grass production?
- Soil sampling and understand the results
Elizabeth has over 25 years applied soil and nutrient management research experience and has engaged with a wide range of research projects connected with the study of nutrient cycling in soils and with the environmental impact of farming systems. Most recently she has been very active in developing farmer-focussed approaches to measurement of soil health and developing on-farm toolkits for improved soil management through the AHDB Soil Biology and Soil Health programme.
The webinar will be approximately 35 minutes long, with time for questions at the end.
- Can’t join us live? Please still register and we will send you the on demand recording to view at your own convenience
- Please forward this invite to your own network of contacts who may find the event of interest. They would be very welcome to join us