Spring Calving Index £SCI
£SCI is an across-breed genetic ranking index designed for UK spring block calving herds.
The index is an initial screening tool to identify bulls that meet a specific criteria.
Use our Herd Genetic Report to identify traits to improve in your herd through breeding.
£SCI value represents the additional profit a high £SCI bull is expected to return from each of its milking daughters over her lifetime compared to an average bull of £0 SCI.
The index has been calculated on its own base and for a specific farming system; so comparison of bulls on the £PLI or £ACI list is not possible.
Why choose £SCI?
- Promotes milk quality rather than volume
- Has a strong emphasis on fertility
- Selects for reduced maintenance costs
- Improves udder and leg health
- Places a strong emphasis on longevity
- Promotes easier calving
- Protects functional type - feet & legs and mammary
Relative weighting of traits within £SCI
Four simple steps when selecting the right bulls for your breeding programme:
- Select bulls with a higher £SCI value than your best cow
- Select fitness traits to maintain your strengths and address herd weaknesses (Fertility, Lifespan, etc.)
- Match type to suit your herd
- Selected calving ease for maiden heifers