Opportunities in halal
Spend in the UK halal food and beverage industry in 2016 reached an estimated £4.64 billion, or 8% of the UK’s total food and drink spend. Halal consumers eat more meat per capita than the general population, and although Muslims account for just under 5% of the UK population, they account for an estimated 20% of lamb consumption in England alone.
Halal is an Arabic term meaning things or actions that are lawful or permissible. When used in reference to food, it is food that is prepared in line with Islamic customs. With over 3 million Muslims in the UK, which is projected to grow to 5.5 million by the year 2030, the UK halal food sector is one that is of growing importance to the national economy.
AHDB and the halal market
The Halal sector presents opportunities for farmers and processors to diversify their production in order to cater for the growing demand for halal beef and lamb. AHDB has a dedicated halal Sector Manager, Awal Fuseini, who works closely with key stakeholders in the sector to create a better understanding of the requirements of halal meat production and to promote British beef and lamb to the domestic consumer and key buyers in the global halal marketplace. The following are some of the activities AHDB is involved in to promote beef and lamb to the Muslim community, and the production of educational resources to inform industry and consumers on important aspects of halal:
- Promoting research on animal welfare and consumer behaviour
- Development of recipes to promote beef and lamb as versatile and convenient products
- Production of educational resources to highlight the importance of key religious festivals, and providing guidance on how farmers and processors can tap into the market
- Showcasing of British beef and lamb at key local and international halal food events or expos
- Creating a knowledge exchange platform between farmers and the Muslim community by organising visits to farms
- Working in collaboration with industry bodies, animal welfare organisation, halal certification bodies and farmer associations to inform policy
A range of cutting guides and publications designed to help maximise opportunities within the halal market: