Pig Industry Scholarship
The Pig Industry Scholarship recruits highly qualified and committed young entrants into the pig industry.
The programme was developed by AHDB, the NPA allied industry group (AIG) and Harper Adams University in 2012. It is managed by a steering group of industry and university representatives and chaired by the NPA’s AIG chairman, Hugh Crabtree.
Now in its ninth year, the programme has seen 35 students spend their placement year within the pig industry, with many returning to their placement company after graduation.
We are really pleased to have been able to help match six companies with students as part of the 2020/21 Pig Industry Scholarship, providing students with an opportunity to explore the vast array of roles within the pig industry.
What are the benefits to sponsor companies?
- Attract potential new employees from a huge pool of talent
- Gain first access to students who are looking for a placement
- Be seen as a business that cares about upskilling the next generation
- Establish a relationship with a student early in their studies
- Opportunity to appraise student during a ‘year-long interview’
- Financial investment is comparable to advertising in the national farming press and is often tax-deductible
The deadline for expressing an interest in becoming a sponsor for 2023 is 5 September 2022.
What type of businesses can participate?
We want to demonstrate the wide variety of opportunities that the pig industry offers and we welcome interest from all areas of the industry. Including, but not limited to:
- Food processing and manufacturing
- New product development
- Pig production
- Transport and logistics
- Veterinary science
What do students receive?
- Twelve month paid placement with a partner company
- £4,500 scholarship
- Potential further scholarship of £4,500 in the final year (subject to review after placement period)
The scheme is open to students studying at Harper Adams University in their second year BSc and first year FdSc.
Find out more
Watch our webinar recording: Talent recruitment made easy
Listen to our podcast: How can we recruit new entrants to the pig industry?
Get in touch
For more information about the Pig Industry Scholarship and becoming a sponsor, get in touch with Jen Waters.
Head of Knowledge Exchange - Pork