Hereford Monitor Farm
About Hereford Monitor Farm
Russell Price and Martin Williams are between them hosting the new Monitor Farm for Herefordshire. Included in their rotations wheat, barley, peas, beans, oilseed rape and potatoes.
Martin farms 800 ha arable crops on the banks of the River Wye at Fownhope, and also has a small flock of Jacob sheep and rents out land for grazing. Martin’s particular challenges are trying to decrease his cost of production, be successful in a very competitive market and to efficiently manage crops with limited chemical availability. On the Herefordshire/Worcestershire border, Russell Price’s arable farming operation includes 360 ha farmed in-hand, 290 ha contract farmed and 130 ha potatoes grown. The challenges faced by Russell’s business include black-grass, improving soil health, efficiency of crop nutrition and building a resilient farming business to withstand volatility.
Working together to form this joint Monitor Farm, Russell and Martin are confident that this collaboration will allow them to make comparisons in their businesses, thus providing a wide array of topics around which local farmers can share knowledge and best practice.
For more information contact AHDB Cereals & Oilseeds Knowledge Exchange Manager for the West and Wales, Richard Meredith, on Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org or 07717493015.
- Farming through adversity, challenge & change: 18 December 2019
- How to enjoy farming: 6 November 2019
- Summer meeting: 29 July 2019
- Cultivating a positive future for farming: 8 March 2019
- Arable farming post-subsidy. How can Herefordshire farms prepare? 16 January 2019 (report, pdf)
- How to become a better boss: 12 December 2018 (report, pdf)
- Machinery costing: 14 November 2018 (report, pdf)
- Meet the processor: 10 July 2018
- Diversification - spreading the risk: 21 February 2018 (report, pdf)
- Benchmarking / risk management: 10 January 2018
- Small margins - muck and pollution: 13 December 2017 (report, pdf)
- Crop establishment: 9 November 2017 (report, pdf)
- Launch meeting: 27 June 2017 (report, pdf)
15 June 2022, 3:00 PM - 15 June 2022, 6:00 PM
You are invited to join us on a farm walk at the Hereford Monitor Farm summer meeting hosted by Rob Beaumont.