Effects of wet weather on this year's lamb crop
Are you concerned about the impact that the recent wet weather will have on your 2020 lambing crop and the feed options available for your flock between scanning and weaning?
Join AHDB at a timely event to discuss the potential impact of which the wet weather is having on flock performance this year and discuss options to mitigate those effects impacting lambing time and beyond.
This meeting will discuss the importance of body condition scoring (BCS) as a tool to assess flock condition, focussing specifically between scanning and lambing, and the impact on young ewes.
We will also discuss feed options for housed sheep systems or grazing sheep, and alternatives to consider if the wet weather is impacting available feeds, through failed crops or water logged ground. The emphasis will be on feed options available for ewes and lambs through to weaning.
- Thursday 23 January - Overbury Enterprises, Tewkesbury, GL20 7NX (5-7.30pm)
- Thursday 30 January - The Vernon, Droitwich Road, Hanbury, Bromsgrove, B60 4DB (5-7:30pm)
- Thursday 30 January – Greetham Valley Golf Club, Wood Lane, Greetham, Oakham, LE15 7SN (7-9:30pm)
- Monday 10 February – Salisbury Auction Centre, The Livestock Market, Salisbury Road, Netherhampton, Salisbury, SP2 8RH (7 -9:30pm)
- Tuesday 18 February – The Jet Miners Inn, 61 High St, Great Broughton, Middlesbrough, TS9 7EF (7-9:30pm)
- Monday 24 February – The Plough, 24 Bondgate Without, Alnwick, NE66 1PN (1-4pm)
- Tuesday 25 February – The Gate Inn, Smeath Lane, Clarborough, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 9JW (5-7:30pm)
- Welcome and introductions
- The importance of ewe body condition scoring (BCS) – how and why?
- Focus on ewe management post-scanning – utilising scanning and BCS data
- Focus on ewe management in late pregnancy – options for supplementation and tools available for formulating rations
- Focus on early lactation – supplementation, creep feed, sward heights and the pros and cons of rotational grazing with young lambs
- Summary and final questions