About South Farm
- 118ha land used for grazing beef cattle and sheep
- Ewe numbers: 560 mule and Texel X ewes. 50 Texel X mule ewe lambs and 20 pedigree Texel ewes (630 total)
- Buy replacement mules privately. Also keep approx 50 own replacements from twins or triplets only
- Ram breeds: Beltex, Texel, Suffolk X Texel, Texel tup lambs and teaser tups
- Cattle numbers and breeds: 50 pedigree Aberdeen Angus
- Two key areas of focus for Steven is to improve year-round grazing quantity and quality and also aim to achieve greater kgs/acre sales
Beef & Lamb Strategic Farmer Steven Lawson, South Farm
South Farm is one of the new 2019 Beef & Lamb Strategic Farms and is managed by Steven Lawson. Steven grew up on the family farm and took over the partnership with his father in around 2002.
Steven says: “We’ve always been a mixed farm concentrating mainly on pedigree Angus and Charolais cattle but over the past few years we’ve expanded our sheep enterprise. Plus, we’ve recently started recording data through electronic ID.
“I applied to become a Strategic Farm as I wanted to improve year-round grazing quantity and quality and also aim to achieve greater kgs/acre sales. I'm looking forward to meeting like-minded people and accessing advice from AHDB to help improve our business.”
Webinar: AHDB B&L: Northumberland Strategic Farm – getting more from forage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLtsmhTPhw
Webinar: AHDB B&L: Strategic farm: the journey to rotational grazing and what's next https://youtu.be/rUUiKi13vQU
Webinar: AHDB B&L: North East and West Strategic Farms: decision making through challenging weather conditions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hoRFEJnTk8&t=83s
Podcast: AHDB Beef & Lamb: Worm control in livestock https://audioboom.com/posts/7876340-ahdb-beef-lamb-worm-control-in-livestock
Farm update Autumn 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5do7BjXeA+
Steven farms with his father, Alan, in Newcastle, Northumberland.