Northampton Monitor Farm
About Northampton Monitor Farm
- MTH Davies has been a Monitor Farm since July 2018
- Farm area: 404ha growing Group 1 milling wheat, malting spring barley and HOLL oilseed rape
- The soil is a mixture of sandy loam, corn brash, silt and heavy clay loam
Rick Davies farms 404ha in partnership with his parents, trading as MTH Davies, between Northampton, Bedford and Milton Keynes. He grows Group 1 milling wheat, malting spring barley and HOLL oilseed rape, adding value where ever possible all for premium markets. The soil is a mixture of sandy loam, corn brash, silt and heavy clay loam.
Crops are currently established with a Claydon-based direct drill and Rick is open to looking at other establishment methods. The Davies family have a number of diversification activities from Office and industrial lets to boxed beef and self-storage these other incomes allow the business to be more risk adverse. During the three years of the Monitor Farm programme Rick hopes to increase his business resilience, reduce fixed and variable costs while maintaining yields and improve soil health for a sustainable future.
Northampton Monitor Farm meetings
For more information contact Judith Stafford, AHDB Cereals & Oilseeds Knowledge Exchange Manager, on email@example.com or 07891 556623.
- What can we learn other industries: 28 January 2020
- What can we learn from organics and CTF?: 10 December 2019
- Joint ventures: 27 November 2019
- Summer meeting: 2 July 2019
- Soil health: 14 May 2019
- Grain marketing - what does the miller want? 22 January 2019
- Soil health and crop nutrition below ground:18 December 2018
- Machinery costs: 27 November 2018
- Launch event: 4 July 2018