SmartHort Lean Modules
Are you looking to increase the productivity of your horticulture business?
This practical online course will guide you step by step through the application of Lean theory within your business. It will help you improve labour productivity, reduce business waste and build your capacity to grow the business.
Lean implementation is often low cost and relatively instant. Participants in our training courses have seen productivity improvements of 10–15%, often higher.
The techniques taught apply to all aspects of horticultural business; from growing, picking, packhouse, offices and maintenance. Anyone who wants to introduce business improvements will benefit from these Lean modules.
The course is designed and delivered by experts Fedden USP. There will be 16 sessions in total and further modules will be added below once recorded.
We recommend completing all the modules in order.
Module one: Lean and labour productivity in horticulture and agriculture
Lean module 1.1
- An introduction to the SmartHort Lean training course
- The history of Lean
- The 5 key principles of Lean
- How to identify ‘wastes’ within your horticultural business
- Identifying the areas of your business where implementing Lean could have the biggest impact
Lean module 1.2
- A detailed look at identifying target areas for improvement within your business
- Spotting activities that are ‘non-value add’
- Examples of wastes within horticulture businesses
- How to carry out your own waste spotting exercise
Module two: How to identify areas for improvement
Lean module 2.1
- A recap from module 1.2 on identifying wastes
- An introduction to process mapping
- Example process maps
- A guide to carry out your own process mapping exercise
You will need:
- Different coloured sticky notes
- Flip chart paper