Safe Potato Operations: Library
This library resource is intended to provide supporting and additional information to the Safe Potato Operations training modules.
It is not a comprehensive reference source but aims to provide key materials and references to further sources of information. Key documents that may be legally downloaded from this library or other websites and printed for distribution to workers are shown below.
HSE guidance may be downloaded free of charge. Check other organisation’s websites to determine their accessibility, terms and conditions.
- Protecting migrant workers: www.hse.gov.uk/migrantworkers/employer/protecting.pdf
- Advice for employers: www.hse.gov.uk/migrantworkers/employer.htm
- Advice for workers: www.hse.gov.uk/migrantworkers/worker.htm
Working in the UK from overseas?
Your health and safety at work in agriculture and food processing INDG410: www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg410.htm
This pocket card for workers from overseas explains their health and safety rights at work. It is also available in Bulgarian, Romanian, Russian, Ukrainian Polish, Latvian and Lithuanian.
General health and safety in agriculture
- For general guidance on health and safety in agriculture see: www.hse.gov.uk/agriculture/index.htm
- Farmwise – your essential guide to health and safety in agriculture –HSG270 (Second edition): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsg270htm[AM1]
- Using tractors safely – a step by step guide INDG185(rev3): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg185.pdf
- Power take-offs and power take-off drive shafts AIS40: www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais40.pdf
- Working safely with agricultural machinery INDG241(rev1): http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg241.pdf
- Rider-operated lift rucks – operator training and safe use. Approved code of practice and guidance L117: www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l117.htm
- Workplace transport safety: A brief guide: www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg199.htm
- Further guidance on vehicles at work can[AM2] be downloaded from: www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/index.htm
- Safe use of potato harvesters AIS13(rev1): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais13.htm
- Working safely near overhead electricity power lines AIS8(rev3): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais8.pdf
For agriculture-specific guidance
Avoiding danger from overhead power lines GS6(fourth edition): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/gs6.htm
For general guidance
- Electrical safety and you - A brief guide INDG231: www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg231.pdf
- Guidance on storing pesticides for farmers and other professional users AIS16(rev1): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais16.pdf
- Working at height – A brief guide INDG401(rev2): http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf
- Manual handling at work – A brief guide INDG143(rev3): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg143.pdf
- Working with substances hazardous to health: A brief guide to COSHH INDG136 (rev5): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg136.pdf
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) at work INDG174 (rev2): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg174.pdf
- Risk Assessment – A brief guide to controlling risks in the workplace - INDG163(rev4): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg163.pdf
- Working alone – Health and safety guidance on the risks of lone working INDG73(rev3): www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg73.pdf
Farm Safety Partnership
A number of farm safety focus guides are available to download from the Farm Safety Partnership.
Topics covered include:
- Falls, slips and trips
- Children on farms
- Farm buildings
These guides are available to download from: www.nfuonline.com/business/farm-safety-partnership/guidance/
Safe Potato harvesting and grading
AHDB Potatoes (ahdb.org.uk/potatoes)
Checklists for staff - available in six languages
Trailer driving checklist
Information on the Safe Use of Potato Harvesters AIS 13
How to complete a damage and bruising assessment
If you have any further queries please contact: