Friday, 30 October 2020
At a glance
- Free-buy traded volumes across all sectors are described as being quite average, with many orders fulfilled on contract.
- Tier 3 lockdowns are pressuring demand for potatoes and diminishing buyer confidence as procurement source on a hand-to-mouth basis.
- Widespread rains across the British Isles this week has momentarily stopped lifting for many growers, with others describing it as very stop-start. With the weather forecast to pick up next week, many are hoping to finish off lifting in the coming couple of weeks.
- A lot of packing trade this week has been fulfilled on contract.
- Maris Piper is still demanding a premium, especially where samples are bold with top skin finish.
- The free-buy bag market has been described as quiet this week. Lack of mobility during half-term week has not helped demand.
- Processing trade this week has been described as fairly quiet, with a lot of orders fulfilled on contract.
- Export trade this week continues, with reports of shipments to both the Canary Islands and Ireland.
- However, due to the sample size, we are unable to publish any prices this week.
Sign up for regular updates
You can subscribe to receive Potato Weekly straight to your inbox. Simply fill in your contact details on our online form and select the information you wish to receive.