Thursday, 23 July 2020
Our potato trade portal will now host non-human consumption customers, such as those who operate Anaerobic Digestion (AD) plants.
Options available for those looking to clear stores
With the growing season progressing well in many parts of the country, growers thoughts will be turning to preparation for harvest and store loading.
Sadly, many will be facing the double complication of having surplus old-season potatoes due to a loss of demand caused by the coronavirus pandemic, and the need to thoroughly clean stores to reduce CIPC residues before heading into the first season without the sprout suppressant.
Here’s a reminder of your main options for moving surplus old-season stocks:
Potatoes for human consumption:
- The Food Surplus Network and contact details of both commercial and charitable options.
- FareShare is a food bank charity that has been supported by other growers during the pandemic
- Our trade portal now hosts requests from Anaerobic Digestion plant owners and others, and you can advertise stock there
- ADBA’s interactive map of AD plants can be used to find your nearest plant.
- Live stock feed - Contact UKFFPA to find local operator
AHDB Potato Trade Portal
In May we launched a new portal to help put potato growers and wholesale buyers in touch with each other. The portal acted as a ‘match-making’ site for growers and merchants to find each other, with any trade of old-season stock taking place directly between them. We worked with the NFU and BPTA to ensure growers and merchants were consulted in its design.
*As of mid-July, we have changed the use of this portal to trading of old stock for non-human consumption, including requests from those that run Anaerobic Digestion (AD) plants