Further evaluation of novel field storage techniques
- All of the reduced-straw and non-straw alternatives provided adequate frost protection for field-stored carrot crops during the winters of 2015-16 and 2016-17.
- Cellulose fibre or similar materials could be a realistic alternative to conventional straw if suitable prices can be negotiated.
01 August 2015 - 30 September 2017
AHDB sector cost:
Total project value:
Dr Steven Roberts
About this project
- Validation of theoretical calculations for the insulation values of different field storage systems/materials in a range of environments.
- Information on the impact of different field storage systems on carrot quality at two harvest dates.
- The above will enable growers to select alternative systems/materials with some confidence.
- Information on the practical issues and engineering requirements that would affect the difficulty/ease of implementing alternative field-storage systems.
- Field demonstration of the different systems.