Protected vine crops industry highlights
Join us to hear about some of the latest highlights from the protected vine crop industry and AHDB-funded projects. A range of topics will be presented, from information on contact transmissible viruses, crop protection, energy, and labour management. The first session will include:
- Adrian Fox (Fera Ltd) who will discuss management and mitigation of contact transmissible viruses, including the latest from Fera Ltd research on the spread and detection of Tomato Brown Rugose Fruit Virus (ToBRFV).
- Dave Kaye (ADAS RSK) will follow presenting some insights into the grower experiences of ToBRFV outbreaks in the UK combined with recommendations drawn from his desk study on hygiene management in protected cropping.
- Dave Chandler (Warwick Crop Centre) will provide an update on the project investigating the poor pollination performance by the native bumblebees in UK glasshouses.
- Jon Swain (NFU energy), who leads the GrowSave programme, will discuss the latest thinking and challenges around reducing carbon emissions from energy requirements, especially in the context of electricity grid decarbonisation and reduced support for renewable heat.
Following a short lunch break, in the second session we will hear from:
- Neil Fedden (Fedden USP Ltd) will start the second session with some highlights on Lean Management and how the practical recommendations may be applied in a PE business.
- AHDB’s Jo McTigue will then provide a crop protection and EAMU programme update for protected vine crops
- We will round off the event with Ant Surrage (Fargro) who will discuss how to use decision support systems and effective application to manage bioprotectant use in pest and disease management in protected vine crops.