UK human and industrial cereal usage
This information shows the use of cereals by flour millers, brewers maltsters and distillers (monthly) and oat millers (quarterly) in the UK. It is used to produce the UK cereals supply and demand estimates.
Overview: July 2020
- Total wheat usage by the UK milling industry(1) in July 2020 was 467.2 thousand tonnes, up 6.1% compared with July 2019. Of this, 406.8 thousand tonnes was home grown wheat, up 7.1% year on year. Imported wheat was relatively unchanged on the year (-0.2%) at 60.3 thousand tonnes.
- In July 2020, barley usage by UK brewers, maltsters and distillers was 22.8% lower than the same period in 2019 at 120.5 thousand tonnes.
- The amount of wheat used by UK brewers, maltsters and distillers was at 61.6 thousand tonnes in July 2020, 1.3% higher year on year.
- July 2020 is the first month of the 2020/21 season which runs from July to June.
(1) Including starch and bioethanol; (2) % change relates to the same period in the previous year; (3) July 2020 is the first month of the 2020/21 season which runs from July to June; (4) As at end-July 2020; Due to rounding, totals may not agree with the sum of the individual items.
For further infomation please contact the AHDB Balance Sheet Team at email@example.com