Harvest progress in Great Britain
Use our interactive tool below to discover harvest progress across Great Britain. You can also select specific crops, areas and the years you wish to compare at a regional or national level.
The fourth AHDB harvest report details harvest data up to the week ending 8 Sept.
Towards the end of August, thunderstorms and heavy rainfall were a common occurrence. Above average rainfall meant for many fields became too wet to cut. Actual harvest hours fell behind typical levels for most.
Harvest pace picked up during the opening week of September after a rough end to August. An estimated 600Kha of crops were harvested week ending 8 Sept, adding to the 400Kha cut in the two weeks before that. Total harvested area stood at 2.8Mha as of 8 Sept, equivalent to 84% of the GB cereal and oilseed area.
The wheat harvest was c.84% complete as of 8 Sept, with Eastern and Southern regions of England almost finished. Spring barley harvest was 77% complete, with rainfall causing widespread lodging for standing crops (approx. 10-15% of the unharvested crop area). The winter barley harvest was complete as of 18 Aug. Oat harvest was 75% complete as of 8 Sept, reportedly finished in the East and South West of England. Winter oilseed rape (WOSR) harvest is now complete, with the last small pockets of area cut in the first week of September.
As expected, straw yields remain lower than recent yields. Balers were trying to get at it where possible, but were delayed significantly by rainfall. Later crop maturity has also meant green straw has been a common sight this harvest. The rainfall also affected some oilseed rape drilling plans where fields still had straw sitting in.
Harvest progress to WE08 Sept can be summarised as:
- Wheat – 84% complete. England and Wales yield estimated at 7.1 – 7.5t/ha.
- Winter barley – 100% complete. GB national yield estimated at 6.5 – 6.7t/ha.
- Spring barley – 77% complete. GB national yields estimated at 5.7 – 6.1t/ha.
- Oats – 75% complete. GB national yields estimated at 5.0 – 5.5t/ha.
- Winter oilseed rape – 100% complete. GB national yield estimated at 2.8 – 3.1t/ha.
How to use the dashboard
- Use the drop down menus at the top of the dashboard to select a harvest week and crop. This will allow you to view the national harvested area for that crop (top chart) as well as a regional breakdown (right-hand chart). National quality and yield information (left-hand table) is also available for all crops alongside harvest progress comments (map). The line chart tracks national harvest progress, for the selected crop, compared to previous years.
- Use the drop down menus at the top of the second chart to view the harvest progress, of a particular crop, throughout the season.